Lady on the phone whilst taking notes
Emergency Tax
16 February 2021
Lady reading a letter
What is a P800 Tax Form?
30 March 2021

UTR Number – Explained

Published: 1 March 2021

January means one thing for plenty of people, including construction workers and builders, and that’s the annual Self-Assessment tax return. If you want to know more about the UTR number, how to apply for one, and when you’ll need it – carry on reading.

What is a UTR number?

A Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number is a unique ten-digit reference that helps HMRC identify you. You get your UTR number as soon as you register for Self-Assessment.

How do I apply for a UTR number?

Registering for a UTR number is pretty easy, actually. Before you go ahead and get started, make sure you have all the right information to hand. This includes:

  • Name, DOB and your personal address
  • Your National Insurance Number (NIN)
  • Your email address and main phone number
  • The date you first became self-employed
  • Your business name, address and the industry you work in
  • Your business phone number

Once you’ve got all this information, the next steps are to:

  1. Register online for Self-Assessment with HMRC
  2. You’ll receive your UTR within 10 days of registering, or 21 days if you’re out of the country. You’ll need this UTR number to file a tax return
  3. Next, you’ll then receive a second letter with an activation code for your Self-Assessment account

Where do I find my UTR number?

So you have a UTR, but you don’t know where to find it. There’s actually quite a few places you can find your HMRC UTR number:

  • Self-Assessment tax return paperwork
  • Payment reminders documents
  • In your statement of account
  • In your notice to file a tax return
  • By logging into your HMRC account and going to the Self-Assessment section
  • As a last resort, you can call HMRC on 0300 200 3310 to retrieve this

What do I need a UTR number for?

For most people, the UTR number is needed when applying for a Self-Assessment tax return, applying for the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS), or (what Brian does best!) applying for a tax rebate.

Be aware – If you have your own limited company, you’ll also have a company UTR. This should be kept separate from your personal one, as whilst you’ll need it to file your company accounts, it wouldn’t be relevant for your personal tax return.

Where does Brian Alfred come in?

Here at Brian Alfred, we’re experts in getting you your maximum tax rebate. Why not speak with a member of the team and see what we can do for you?

Need help?

We look after limited companies, sole traders, freelancers, contractors and CIS workers.

Ready to get started?