The Self Assessment Tax Return Deadline
The Self Assessment tax return deadline is just a few weeks away, so if you’re yet to complete your tax return – you don’t have long left!
When is the Self Assessment tax return deadline?
The Self Assessment tax return (SATR) deadline is on 31st January 2023.
Can I still submit a paper tax return?
The deadline for a paper Self Assessment tax return was 31st October 2022.
What happens if I miss the Self Assessment deadline?
HMRC must receive your Self Assessment before the deadline. Otherwise, you could end up with a fine. If you send your information late, you will receive an automatic penalty of £100, and the penalty will increase the longer it takes for HMRC to receive your return.
If you have a reasonable excuse for your return or payment being late, for example, you were ill or had a bereavement in the family, you can appeal against the penalty. The HMRC website contains examples of reasonable excuses.
Who needs to make a tax return?
According to HMRC, you need to make a tax return if you:
- are a self-employed sole trader whose annual turnover is over £1,000
- have earned more than £2,500 from renting out property
- have received, or your partner has received, Child Benefit and either of them had an annual income of more than £50,000
- have received more than £2,500 in other untaxed income
- are an employee claiming expenses in excess of £2,500
- have an annual income of over £100,000
- have earned income from abroad that they need to pay tax on
How can Brian Alfred help?
Our tax experts here at Brian Alfred can help take the hassle out of completing your tax return and claiming your tax rebate. We specialise in getting the maximum out of your tax rebate.
If you would like to speak to us about your Self Assessment tax return, please request a callback.