What is a tax rebate?

A tax rebate is a refund of tax paid. You may be due a refund if you have paid too much tax, or if you have incurred expenses which you are allowed to claim relief (such as protective clothing required to do your job or travel costs to temporary worksites).

When do you get a tax rebate?

You may be due a tax rebate if you have paid too much tax, or if you have incurred expenses where you are allowed to claim relief.

If you meet the criteria for Self Assesment, you need to file a tax return with HMRC.

Brian Alfred can do the hard work for you! Simply register or request a postal pack.

Am I entitled to a tax rebate?

You may be entitled to a tax rebate. You can get in touch with Brian Alfred to find out

Do tax rebates happen automatically?

In some circumstances, tax rebates can happen automatically – for example, if you work solely PAYE and you have overpaid tax.

However, in most cases, you need to apply.

If you are self-employed and earn over £1,000, you must file a tax return with HMRC.

Need some help? At Brian Alfred we can save you time by doing the difficult work for you.

How to apply for a tax rebate

If you’re self-employed and earn over £1,000 or you’re employed and your job expenses are more than £2,500, you will need to file a Self Assessment Tax Return.

At Brian Alfred, we’re here to help. Simply register or request a postal pack and we’ll take care of the rest.

Do you still offer the Express Rebate?

Due to legislation changes, we can no longer our Express Advanced Rebate Service. Not to worry, if you’re due a rebate and have provided the necessary information, we will submit your return without the need to pay upfront and we’ll collect our fee from your rebate. So, you won’t be out of pocket while you wait.

How long does a tax rebate take?

Once we’ve got all your documentation sorted for your Tax Return and you give us the green light, we’ll get it submitted to HMRC within one Business Day.

Now, HMRC aim to sort out your repayment within two weeks after we’ve submitted it, but they’ve got some security measures in place to protect you against fraud, which can sometimes hold things up. Once we get your repayment from HMRC, we’ll deduct our fee and transfer the rest to you within one Business Day.

When will I get my tax refund?

We can begin to submit tax returns from 6th April, following the end of the tax year.

What if I haven’t got a P60?

If you don’t have a copy of your P60 and you were working as a PAYE employee, you can either request another copy from your employer or provide us with copies of your payslips instead.

Alternatively, you can contact HMRC to request proof of income posted to you, by calling 0300 200 3310.

What are your fees?

The fee we charge depends on which service you select.

  • Online – Standard: £229 + VAT
  • Postal – Standard: £259 + VAT

How quickly will I get my tax refund?

Once we’ve sent off your Tax Return to HMRC, they aim to sort out your repayment within two weeks, but they have to do some security checks first, so keep that in mind. And when we get your repayment from HMRC, we’ll take our fee and send the rest of the cash your way within one Business Day.

Some of my friends and family are interested in your services. Should I tell them?

Yes – please do! We will pay you £50 per friend you refer as a thank you. Take a look at our refer a friend page to find out more.

What happens if I file my tax rebate late?

If your tax return is filed up to 3 months late, HMRC will look to apply a £100 penalty. Additional penalties will apply if the return is filed over 3 months late.

Do I have to pay the SEISS Grant back?

The Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) grant only needs to be paid back if you were not eligible to receive the grant. If you believe this may apply to you, you can read HMRC’s guidance.

Can I get my claim backdated?

Yes. The time limit for making a claim is 4 years after the end of the tax year you are claiming for. Every tax year needs a separate claim form.

Can I claim for previous jobs?

You can! Claims can be backdated up to 4 years after the end of the tax year. This includes claims from previous jobs. Please note, as with any backdated claim, every tax year needs a separate claim form.