Lady inspecting a receipt at her desk
Top Tips: Preparing for Tax Return Season
27 February 2018
Builder with laptop, working on floorplans
Builders Tax Returns and Rebates
20 March 2018

Guide to Travel Expenses for Builders

Published: 20 March 2018

As a builder, there are certain perks involved with working through your own company, including expenses you can claim. Figuring out what you can and can’t claim as a business expense isn’t always easy. Give our guide a read to find out what you could claim back for the cost of your travel.

Can I claim travel expenses as a CIS worker?

If you are a CIS worker, there are instances in which you can claim tax relief on travel expenses.

HMRC implemented an eligibility test known as the 24 month rule to simplify whether a worker travelling to a temporary place of work can claim tax relief.

As long as your contract does not exceed 24 months and you don’t spend more than 40% of your time at this place of work, this shouldn’t affect your eligibility. You can find more information about the 24 month rule on the HMRC website.

Can I claim travel expenses if I’m a PAYE worker?

If you are a Pay As You Earn (PAYE) worker, you can claim the cost of mileage if you are travelling to a temporary place of work. However, you will not be able to claim if your place of work is permanent.

You also cannot claim for the cost of your motor vehicle (i.e., road tax and car insurance costs).

Find out more about claiming tax relief as an employee.

How much could I claim on mileage?

The amount you can claim on mileage depends on your vehicle and the number of miles you’re travelling.

Take a look at our table below to see how much you could claim:

Type of vehicleFirst 10,000 milesAbove 10,000 miles
Cars and vans45p (40p before 2011 to 2012)25p

How can Brian Alfred help?

If you work in the construction industry and you’ve overpaid on the cost of your travel, you could be due a tax rebate.

At Brian Alfred, we’re experts in all things tax. That’s why we’re always able to offer advice and support. To find out how we can help, get in touch with our team.

Need help?

We look after limited companies, sole traders, freelancers, contractors and CIS workers.

Ready to get started?